Friday, February 10, 2012

Lymphedema

I think I'm moved into a more critical case as far as the lymphedema goes. I haven't gotten much better even after a few weeks of therapy. I spend most of my time with my arm bandaged up, which doesn't help with typing, cooking, washing dishes, showering...you name it.

Yesterday I met with a rep from the Flexitouch company to be measured and start the process to get my own pump. This pump will simulate manual drainage massage that the therapists do, so that I can receive it daily, including when I'm traveling. There are separate pieces that fit over my trunk, chest, shoulder and arm, which connect by tube to a central controller (see http://tactilesystems.com/flexitouch/details.html for a better description and picture). I'm hoping that daily treatment will help get this under control.

Other things I'm trying to do include exercise, including "rebounding" (which in my case is jumping up and down on a $30 jogging trampoline from Fleet Farm), diaphragmatic breathing, all to try to help get the lymph system moving, and an enzyme capsule "Digest Gold" to help break down stuff in my arm. There is also a local doctor who specializes in lymphedema, so I am going to look into making an appointment with her. Lymphedema is often a chronic, life-long problem, so I'm moving on trying to avoid that if at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment