Friday, June 17, 2011

The Full Story (Part 2: The Liver)

Sarcomas spread to the lungs. They're not known to spread to the lymph nodes, liver, or any other organs to which you often hear about cancers metastasizing. So prior to my second arm surgery I had a CT scan of my chest, which was clear. However, it showed something suspicious in the upper left quadrant of my abdomen. For that reason, I then had an abdominal CT with contrast, which showed an atypical mass on the left side of my liver. Because I was not at risk for either primary (originating in the liver) or secondary (spreading from the arm) cancer, there was some question as to what to do next. I was sent to a liver surgeon at the U, Dr. Jensen, who did not advise an MRI, as he thought that would not provide any further information. He recommended removing the mass. Surgery would be laparoscopic (which, I learned, does not mean outpatient). However, because I was not at risk for any cancers, Dr. Pollock did not think anything further needed to be done. However, MD Anderson couldn't figure out what it was either. If someone could have told me definitively what it was and that it definitely wasn't a threat, I would have been comfortable. But no one could. So I decided to have the surgery. On May 24th I had surgery to remove the mass. When I woke up I was told that they did not believe the mass was malignant, and that it wasn't the MPNST. They still didn't know what the mass was, though, and had sent it to pathology for review.

While I was very relieved to know that the mass likely wasn't malignant, holy cow, did I underestimate what the surgery would do to me! Turns out laparoscopic also does not mean pain free. I had to learn new ways of getting in and out of bed that did not use abdominal muscles. I had three incisions in my abdomen, one in my belly button, one to the left and above, and a larger one (~3 inches) to the right. I got a pain pump with dilaudid, but I got in trouble (i.e., severe pain) a couple of times because I didn't use it enough (can you believe I'd been trying to analyze what I needed so that I didn't use too much!). I also was having a lot of anxiety, which didn't help things.

I was discharged after two days. By Saturday (two days after discharge), I was venturing out a bit. Scott's parents were in town, and we went to Linder's to buy plants. Luckily they weren't crowded. I was still on quite a bit of oral dilaudid, and I felt like everyone was standing really close to me or walking straight at me.

Things were a bit rough through that weekend, but by about 9 days post surgery I started venturing out more. Ramona came over one evening and we walked around Como Lake (all I'd done up to that point was walk up and down the block a couple times). By Saturday (11 days), I decided to get out and drive to Sherburne Wildlife Refuge to look for birds. This was the first time I'd driven since the first arm surgery over a month prior to that! It went well, I had a great time, so Sunday I went to Murphy Hanrehan Park to look for more birds. I noticed that I tired out more quickly (I had to sit down in the grass with the ticks at one point), but I decided that, while I was feeling good and driving, I should head up to the North Shore - once I had the next surgery I wouldn't be driving again so I didn't know when I'd have another chance. Monday, May 6th, I had my two week surgical follow-up, and Tuesday morning I headed north.

Knowing I wouldn't be able to be as ambitious as I usually am with my hikes, I headed to Tettegouche State Park, the best location to find Black-throated Blue Warblers. Both Wednesday and Thursday I hiked over six hours, and probably hiked a distance of 8-10 miles both days. So much for taking it easy. I was tired at the end of each day, but I felt great. I think the doctors were a bit amazed (>8.

Dr. Jensen said I shouldn't try running until about six weeks post surgery - he said I'd feel things bouncing around. So I got the idea when I was hiking that I should just focus on going on hilly walks until I can run again (~July 1). Actually, turns out walking hills uses the same muscles as running. The morning after I got back home, I walked around Como, with some "hill repeats" on the small hill leading to the picnic area. I haven't been as ambitious at finding hills since then. However, when I was out on Wednesday, I ran across Grand Avenue a few times to dodge cars. Then, yesterday, I ran down the block barefoot after the postman to give him some letters to mail. Not huge distances either time, but it felt ok. Tuesday will be four weeks, I think it's time to give actual running a try. Anyone want to go on slow runs (maybe run/walks) with me?

1 comment:

  1. You're probably still faster than me -- but after July 9 I'll have lots of time for slow runs. :)

    ReplyDelete