Monday, June 20, 2011

Today's Run

Today I went for a run. I was told that I shouldn't try running until six weeks post-surgery (tomorrow will be four weeks), that it will be uncomfortable due to the organs jostling around. But last week I ran across a busy street a few times, and that seemed ok, then I ran down the block to catch the postman and give him the letters I wanted to mail but hadn't had ready when he was at my house, and that seemed to go ok too. Then on Friday I bought a copy of the newest Runner's World, about outrunning cancer (highly recommended, by the way), and I was further inspired. So I figured I might as well try.

After walking to Como Lake, I started to run. I stopped in less than two minutes, thinking something didn't seem right. I spent the next few minutes rationalizing whether it was really organs jostling, or just a bit of anxiety about it, or maybe even just being out of shape. So I tried again, and this time it seemed ok. I did a run walk combo, and ran for about 35 minutes total. The issue was more the fact that I hadn't run consistently all year than anything to do with any recent surgery. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment