Monday, August 1, 2011

Radiation

Just a brief update on the radiation treatments. I've now completed four (out of 32). I drive to the University of Minnesota for my daily appointment, park in a special spot, and swipe my card to check in, after which my name is called on the intercom. I go back to a room where a sort of bean bag mold is lying on a table (this mold was made during an appointment a couple of weeks ago). It takes a few minutes to get situated, lying on the table with my arm in the mold, with the technicians moving me and the table level so that the beam hits the same exact spot each time. The technicians leave the room, and a beeping sound means that radiation has started. It last a few seconds, and then the machine is rotated so that the beam is coming from underneath, and I get another dose of radiation from that angle. The technicians come in, lower the table, and I'm on my way. It's 20 seconds of radiation at most, and I'm in and out in 15-20 minutes.

So far, so good. I don't have any side effects yet - it will take any effects at least a couple of weeks to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment