Monday, December 19, 2011

First Week (Almost) Down

Almost one week after my first chemo treatment, I'm feeling pretty good. My biggest issue right now is bone pain from the Neulasta shots that are given to help boost my white blood cell count. Neulasta is generally given 24-72 hours after each chemo infusion, as a subcutaneous shot. It makes its way to the bone marrow, and somehow helps it start producing white blood cells. I got my shot on Thursday, and Friday I started feeling pain in my low back and hips. I was pretty good over the weekend and this morning, but then it started - and intensified - this afternoon and evening. I took tylenol at 6:00, then moved to something stronger at 10. I'm still waiting for the pain reliever to kick in. The pain is weird - any time I make any slight move, I get intense waves of pain coinciding with my heart beat. I think it's better when I walk. Bending over or squatting is bad.

Thursday evening I was feeling pretty good and decided to try a spin class. The pain from the pneumothorax prevented me from being able to bend over the handlebars - I spent the whole class upright like I was riding a unicycle. I guess it's just walking for me for a while yet. I see the surgeon Friday, but I may call his office tomorrow to see what they say about ski practice.

Wednesday I got my hair cut. It looked pretty shocking at first, especially since it got extra curly - I thought I looked like a lamb. It's definitely a lot easier to style! I will post a picture if one can be taken of me where I keep my eyes open! I'm told it will be 2-3 weeks before my hair falls out, last night my scalp started feeling kind of itchy, turns out it could stay itchy until it starts hurting, that's when I know it's time to get out the shaver. I did buy a wig, I initially planned to have it just for work and travel functions, but I think I may end up wearing it more as it may be nice to have the sense of normalcy. I did find a website with some cute hats and headcoverings (headcovers.com) for women experiencing hairloss, and my good friend Ramona has offered to host a "Hat Party" for me. Stay tuned.

Other than the pneumothorax and the bone pain, side effects have been pretty minimal. No nausea, no major fatigue, maybe some heart burn and fluid retention. I think I would rather have the pain than the nausea. Tomorrow I'll have my fourth acupuncture session.

No comments:

Post a Comment