Friday, December 30, 2011

Round Two

As I write this, I'm sitting at the University of Minnesota, receiving my next dose of chemotherapy. Things got started at 8, when I showed up (thanks for the ride, Heather!) and had my counts checked. I was a bit nervous that my counts wouldn't be high enough to go ahead, as I'm only at Day 17 and they usually only allow up to two days either side of 21 days. But everything looked good, so I was sent upstairs to begin.

Before chemo started, I was given two anti-nausea drugs, Emend and Aloxi, along with the steroid Decadron. Then I received the taxotere (aka docetaxel). They run this one in more slowly, as people can have allergic reactions to this drug (which is why they give the steroid). Next time they can run it faster, as I haven't had any reactions.

Fast forward eleven hours. Docetaxel and cytoxan were both infused without incident. My friend Alyssa brought lunch (thanks!) and gave me a ride home, where I had an hour before acupuncture. I did start feeling some slight nausea and heartburn at this time, but they went away shortly afterward. Ginger tea may also have helped. (:

This evening, friends Ramona and Becky came over and made dinner (more thanks!). I was a bit tired after chemo, but by now I was wide awake and chatty (and still am - I'm drinking Sleepytime tea to help calm me down). Starting the evening of chemo day, I take a steroid (Decadron) for three days to help minimize reactions to the docetaxel. I also received it IV earlier today. Possible side effects of decadron include fatigue, emotional outbursts, spaciness (my term) and hyperactivity. I think I know which one I got!

On our way out, Alyssa mentioned how they really have the therapy delivery down to an exact process. They really try to make everything as pleasant as possible. The space is very pleasant, TVs are available to everyone, and so are snacks and beverages.

This morning I brought my laptop, all six seasons of Sex and The City (thanks, Pat!), a magazine, and a book. But time really flew, even though I didn't finish until 1:30 - I only watched one and a half episodes, didn't touch my book or the magazine, and didn't do enough blogging. My nurse is also a cross-country ski coach, biked to work today, and shops at a coop - I did talk to her a lot. Maybe too much. At the end, they kind of had to kick me out because I was chatting rather than leaving and they needed my "pod." Did I mention that I had received Decadron IV?

No comments:

Post a Comment