Monday, December 12, 2011

Surgery Update

Surgery went well, they took one lymph node. It was very clear this was the one sentinel node, based on how it took up the dye. I guess you can also use the dye to make a guess about cancer in the lymph node, and everything looked good for me. Of course, pathology is the final assessment - it will take a day or two to get those results.

The incision is small and doesn't hurt - I can't even tell where in my armpit it is. As for the port, that's starting to hurt a bit as the meds wear off.

I had the choice to not go under general anesthesia, so did that. I didn't notice any difference. (;

One of the final things they do prior to discharge is a chest x-ray to check the port placement. And turns out I have a pneumothorax - they punctured my lung with a needle. Which meant I couldn't go home. Off to the 7th floor, where I was admitted for overnight observation.

Picking up where I left off last night. The pneumothorax has not shrunk, and has maybe even gotten a bit bigger. My oxygen saturation is still high (upper 90s as opposed to 100 prior to surgery), but it's not very comfortable when I move around. The armpit incision also started hurting, but that was taken care of with a bit of vicodin.

Pneumothoraxes (pneumothori?) can resolve on their own, or they can insert a tube in your chest to suck out the air. I'm currently waiting for the surgical team to stop by during rounds to see if yesterday's surgeon thinks a tube is required. Also if it will impact chemo, which is scheduled to start at 8:30 this morning.

Already I'm behind on my meds - I was supposed to start a steroid yesterday to help prevent nausea. You take it the day before, the day of, and the day after each chemo infusion. I also haven't eaten anything for about 30 hours, first due to surgery prep, and now in case I need surgery again. My stomach is rumbling as I write.

Hopefully I will get some more news soon.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear the surgery went well, but hope the rest clears up quickly. Thinking of you and praying too.

    ReplyDelete