Thursday, September 8, 2011

90% Done!

Today was treatment #29 - three more to go!

My arm is definitely getting pretty red and sore. I've stopped wearing a watch, as it's continuing to swell. My fingers also seem to be getting more numb, if that's possible (how can you measure how much you can't feel? However, I do think my typing has gotten worse - I make more typos when I hit the index finger keys). I saw Dr. Cho today and asked him, and was told that that's very possible - as the swelling gets worse, it crowds and irritates the nerves even further.

We also talked about what would happen next Tuesday. I usually have seen Dr. Cho when I'm in for radiation on Thursdays, but I'll see him again on Tuesday to look at the arm and see how it's doing. My arm will most likely get worse before it gets better - he thought about three days after the final treatment would be the worse, just in time for my celebration! Then it will heal a lot in the following two weeks, but I will have a dark arm for a long time, and that area will always be sensitive to the sun.

I made an appointment to see Dr. Cho for a one-month follow-up on October 18th. I also need to set up an appointment to see Dr. Ogilvie, although I won't have the scans for another month or even two, as all the swelling and inflammation can give false readings. I'm getting pretty anxious to have my lung CT done, though, as it's been over four months since my first one.

Tomorrow I head to Door County to ride the century ride on Sunday (while I have entertained thoughts of doing the full century (I'll miss so much scenery if I don't!), I will likely ride the 50 or 70 mile route). Even though I wasn't part of it this season, there's a Team in Training team going and they're letting me hang out with them. I'm a bit concerned about the new numbness and slight pain in my fingers and that it might impact my riding, but I haven't let it stop me yet!

We'll stay in Door County through Sunday night, then head back fairly early on Monday - I have to make my radiation session (#31!) 3:45 that afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment