Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DONE

I couldn't sleep this morning. I lay wide awake at 4:30, so read for a couple hours before getting up. I went in for my appointment at 7:45 - everyone seemed to be driving extra slow today!

I got called back right away, but wouldn't you know it, they had to reset the machine and I had to lie there for a while. I started thinking about finishing, what I would write in my blog post, and...tears came.

The machine was ready, I got my treatment, and when the technicians came in one remarked about how of course there were some issues on my last day. I realized she was maybe saying that because of my tears, so I told her I was crying because I was done.

I have been going to the University five days a week (almost) for the past seven weeks. As I was leaving, I thought about tomorrow's appointment - oh, wait, there isn't one! I'm really, really done.

The University makes it as simple and pleasant as possible. I have free access to a sweet parking spot. It's quick. I like the technicians. But it's radiation. I had to go every day, my arm is starting to suffer, and I've been in this phase of surgery plus radiation for a looong time. I'm so ready to move on. I was so fortunate to be able to mostly continue my life as normal during treatment, but now it can be even more normal. As normal as life for someone who's been through two cancer diagnoses can be.

After treatment, I saw Dr. Cho, which was fairly anti-climactic. He breezed into the room, took a look at my arm, said don't put anything on it, I'll see you in a month. And that was it.

My sarcoma journey is not over by any means. When my arm heals a bit, an MRI will be done, along with a CT scan of my lungs, to see if I'm in remission. The scans will be repeated regularly over the next five years. Just as I freaked out about every bruise 20 years ago, I'm sure I'll freak out at every lump or bump or anything that just might not feel right. But this is the milestone I'm at today, and I'm celebrating.

Hanging tough is so much easier when you have a huge support crew. Thank you to all my friends and family, for all your encouragement, kindness, and offers of assistance, and who have sent me so many supportive messages over the past few months.

Thanks to Kathleen and Jonathon, who got me on a paddleboard and fixed my (house) gutters.

To Pat, for all the movies and the Big Bowl dinners (one of these days we'll make it back to trivia!)

Thanks to Tom and Gloria for spending your Memorial Day weekend working on my house and garden, while I sat in a chair and watched.

To all of my Team in Training friends, who make me believe in the cause, and the people, even more - Sarah, for waiting around at the hospital (for way too long!) to give me a ride when I couldn't drive, to Bonnie and to Dawn, for taking me out for lunch, and to Paul, Leigh, and Jodi for making Door County that much more in my grasp.

Thanks especially to Misty, who decided she would help out by mowing my lawn all summer. And for helping me satisfy my cravings for Punch more than once.

To the breakfast bunch: Maria, Katie, Misty, and Julie - for laughter really is such good, good medicine.

To the Battles clan, for offering so much love and support from California, and for hooking me up with the awesome Dr. Pollock!

To my parents, who are always willing to drive me where I need to go, even if that might be home from Door County, and to try Indian for the first time because I'm supposed to eat turmeric.

To my sister Debra, who googled when I couldn't because I didn't want to see the statistics, who pushed me to keep asking and keep pushing at each doctor, and who worked to connect me with more doctors.

And, finally, thank you to Scott, who didn't flinch about having a girlfriend with cancer, who sat down with me to strategize about searching for second opinions doctors and how to get to them, who took on cooking for me and taking care of my house, who had to learn how jewelry fastens, and who used up his vacation time accompanying me to multitudes of appointments and surgeries.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment