Saturday, September 24, 2011

More Thoughts

Yesterday I found out that an acquaintance died suddenly last week. I knew Carl from when I was a culinary assistant at Kitchen Window. He was a wealth of knowledge on anything food, and was one of my favorite teachers at their cooking school. I hadn't volunteered at a class for a few years, but whenever I stopped in I'd always look for him. If he was there, I could always count on staying a little longer due to whatever conversation we'd get into.

Also this last week, I learned of the death of a friend of a friend, this one from cancer. It had come back in her brain and things didn't look good. But, expected or not, her friends and family had to say goodbye.

Losing someone is always terrible. Not to be morbid here, but none of us know when or how we'll go. I could battle cancer twice only to die in a car accident. The point is, we're here today. Take advantage and live your life. Tell those around you that you love them - now. Want to run a marathon? See the Great Wall of China? Change your job? Think about how you can make those things happen.

One of my favorite quotes:
This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it, or use it for good. What I do today is important, because I'm exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something that I have traded for it. I want it to be good, not evil; success, not failure; in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it.

- W. Heartsill Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment